Monday, August 27, 2007

Isn't There a Season Left to Play?

As the anticipation for the new season grows, most of us try to watch as many football games as humanly possible. But for those of us who love college football, that anticipation can also bring the desire to shove a foot through the television screen as a few sportscasters are in too much of a hurry to give the crystal football away.

If any of you have been falling Mark May at all, then you know all too well that he has already crowned USC. I mean he makes it sound as though USC could dominate the '85 Bears. I know, I can hear all of you USC fans screaming at me right now, but just hear me out. I'm not saying USC isn't going to win it this year, but let's face it, there are other teams out there that deserve a little respect. And let us not forget the infamous dark horses; the long shots if you will, who come out of nowhere to crash the party. Does anybody remember the 2000 Sooners? All of a sudden BAM! There they were in the Orange Bowl. All you heard was how they didn't have enough offense to hang with Florida State, but in the end they were victorious. How many of you wish you would have bet the under? The same thing happened in 2002 when the Fiesta Bowl hosted the great and powerful Miami vs. Ohio State. Seemed like a total mismatch, but Cane fans were completely blown away.

I don't have "much" of a problem when people make predictions, but when they make it sound like the season doesn't even need to be played, it aggravates me, and I'm sure millions of others out there feel the same way. I really dislike being told that it's going to be another wasted season, and that my team has no chance. Hey, why not just give it all to USC or Texas every year? I'm sure fans of teams like OU, Florida, Michigan, Virginia Tech, Ohio State, and Cal won't have a problem with that. You see, the point most of these overpaid analysts are missing is that they don't have any more of a clue than you or I. And when it's all said and done, isn't it our opinions that really matter since we are the ones buying the tickets to the games and all of the officially licensed merchandise that we proudly display? So one way to look at it is that we are responsible for the product that is seen on the field. I am in no way trying to single out Mark, he is just one example of far too many.

I want to make it clear that you in no way have to agree with what I have written here. Please feel free to post your comments and let your opinion be heard because it matters. I don't expect everyone to agree with me, in fact, that's what makes places like this great, and football great. The passion the fans have for football is unmatched. Period.
~until tomorrow~

No comments: